researcher

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

a li'l update

My topic of interest is on grammar and writing / teaching of grammar in the context of writing. So far, I have found 12 bibs about the subject from ERIC, 6 from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses, 15 from Academic Search Premier, 5 NCTE Positions and Guidelines, and 1 CCCC Position Statement. I know this wealth of information is a bit overwhelming. Reading the abstracts (and some full texts!) as well as making sure they’re sorted out in a coherent fashion do take a lot of time. Apparently, I am in the process of distilling my main focus. From reading the abstracts, it seems that I could go into several directions. I could conduct a study (perhaps ethnographic) that establishes a link between the integration of rhetorical pedagogy and grammar instruction as I am fascinated with Bakhtin’s pedagogue on stylistics/ grammar (and other readings patterned after his theory)… OR I could focus on how teacher (or students?) feels about teaching grammar in the context of writing (via survey, ethnography, etc)…

I was able to sort out the sources I’ve gathered into several categories for ease of reference (the disadvantages of teaching grammar in writing; the benefits of teaching grammar in writing and some techniques/methods; ESL/EFL writing and grammar issues; the role of computers in language teaching; and on rhetoric and composition). Among these categories, surprisingly, I have MORE sources on the benefits of teaching grammar in the context of writing! So, this could serve as springboard for me to direct my area of study towards that trail... but then again, my topic could be an enigma :)

3 Comments:

  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger Drea said…

    As a fellow scholar -- and one that is pining to see more RHETORIC in the composition classroom-- I would love to see your research on rhetoric and grammar! It sounds like you've made some real headway in your research so far.

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Blogger Beth said…

    Florence, this topic also seems to be appropriate in light of all the state-mandated testing that is being done in high schools, trying to determine whether students are learning to write well. And it definitely seems that the teaching of grammar would have some impact on that. Good luck trying to narrow down all of those aspects!
    Beth

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Blogger Drea said…

    I don't know if you've seen this article or not, but Ohiolink has this article:
    Grammar for Writing? A Critical Review of Empirical Evidence

    British Journal of Educational Studies Volume: 49, Issue: 4, December 2001. pp. 411-427.
    Wyse, Dominic

    It may give you some good information!

    Much Love!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home